Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Mansion - A Visit To A Distant Past

Canon 40D, 10-22mm, f/11, 1/160, ISO400

Having arrived a few days before the Street Dance competition of the Masskara Festival gave me enough time to explore city proper of Bacolod.  

Around the area of Lacson-Bs Aquino streets I found a couple of antique stores and shops selling reasonable-priced antique items.  If only i don't have baggage limitations in my flight ... 

Still with more time left, I decided to check-out the Mansion which I learned from a brochure I got at the airport arrival hall.  Upon checking with Google maps during lunch at the Robinson's Place, I was already in the right area that would allow me to go to the place by just taking the jeepney. 

I took the jeepney heading towards the Talisay City direction, then dropped-off at the intersection of Lacson-Hilado Sts., at the corner where the Pepsi Plant is.  There I hired a tricycle for 100 pesos that brought me to the mansion, waited for me, then returned me to that same corner.  Don't hire one way only.  Tricycles seldom go into the area that you may end up walking to the highway, 20-30 minutes away.


Canon 40D, 10-22mm, f/11, 1/160, ISO400
Situated in the middle of a sugar cane plantation, this ruins that has withstand time looks imposing and haunting. The mansion which was one of the grandest during its era was owned by Don Mariano Ledesma Lacson. It was built in memory of his Portuguese wife Maria Braga whom he met in Macau.  The guerrillas burned down the mansion for fear that the Japanese forces would use this as their headquarters during the war.

A fee of P75 is collected at the entrance. There were no other visitors when I arrived so I took the opportunity of exploring the place and taking photos. Accordingly, sunrises and sunsets in the mansion are beautiful.  The ground floor of the building has been converted to a cafe where one can order refreshments. 


Canon 40D, 24-105mm L IS USM, f/16, 1/80, ISO400
The afternoon sun was getting hot that I took time cool-down and sat in one of the shady parts of the garden to relax and feel the breeze.  Visitors on board rented vans have started to arrive and have started their own exploration of the building and the garden. 

started packing up my gears and headed outside the compound to where the tricycle was waiting.  Sunrise and sunset in the mansion will be my reason for visiting the place the next time ill be in Bacolod, that will be during the 2012 Masskara Festival.


Canon 40D, 24-105mm L IS USM, f/11, 1/80, ISO400






2 comments:

FOSSyFrancis said...

Wonderfully captured!!!

alrodriguez said...

Thanks Francis. You can also look from this site the possible images you want for framing.