Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Rugged Charm of Batanes - First Impressions

2am and I was wide awake already. My flight to Basco wont be until 530am.  Salem Guest House, where I had booked for the night, was just across the Old Domestic Terminal (NAIA 4) - no more than 5 minutes walk. 

I need to seat at the "F" seats as per advise if ever i wanted to get a good view of Batanes from atop during landing approach. Indeed almost all "F" seats had been occupied when it was finally my time to check-in.  I got the second to the last row, 17F, which became a blessing for it seats only 2 per side.

It's my first time on board SkyJet. I was impressed - clean, neat and comfortable seats.


Most of all, they served HEAVY snacks on board!  


I did not take anything while at the waiting lounge so it was a relief when the flight attendant offered me a choice of sandwich or cake, coffee or juice or water.

I was awakened by the announcement that we are now on our initial descent to Batanes. I opened the windows and can already see the seas through the clouds.  A few more thousand feet down and I got my first glimpse of an island - Sabtang.  


At the final approach, Batan island came into view - its rolling hills, rugged cliffs and white beaches. 
 


A few more minutes and touchdown to Basco. 

As the aircraft was taxing towards the terminal building, I notice that that runway stretches towards the slope of Mt. Iraya. The sloping runway may had been designed to aid in slowing down the aircraft as it touches the ground during landing. Gravitational brakes?

 


There were no baggage carousels at the arrival area.  


Passengers, after registration have to exit the arrival hall and wait until all the baggage have been unloaded from the cargo carts and arranged by the airport personnel, after which one by one each will be allowed enter back to gather ones baggage. 


The retrieval of baggage were orderly inspite of the number of passengers. The flight I was on transported also the Smartmatic PCOS machines for use in the upcoming elections in the region.


Breakfast was at Pension Ivatan. It's just beside the aiport complex.  



I had my first taste of Ivatan food - Dibang-Silog. Delicious! Dibang is Ivatan for flying fish which is abundant in the seas of Batanes.  I had my coffee on board Skyjet so I opted for hot calamansi to complement my food. 


I took a tricycle and proceeded to Shanedels Inn where I stayed for the entire duration of my trip.

Tricycles in Basco do not go around town in search for passengers. Gasoline is expensive in the island.  

You call the tricycle terminal and request for one to pick you up and bring you to your destination.  If you don't have the number, the establishment where you are in can help you out.  

Why did I not stay at Pension Ivatan? 

Its relatively far from the town-center. Take note though that Basco town-area can be explored by foot.  It's a small town.

I opted for a non-air-conditioned room.  During this time of the year, night time and early mornings were cold and windy. I ate my lunch of Ivatan Pakbet, fried pork Lunyes at the cafe of Shanedels Inn (http://shanedels.wix.com/batanes#!). 

The dining/function area has great view of the Basco Port and the Basco Lighthouse over the Naidi hill. 


The activity at the port, the blue seas and the green hills were enough to relax me after that early morning trip I had.  

Looking back the first few hours that I had been in Basco, I can't help but notice the courtesy Ivatans show to both the locals and visitors.  A smile, a nod, and greetings of 'magandang umaga' and 'good morning' were the ones I had been hearing.

I took a short nap to recharge and be ready for my first activity of the day - explore North Batan.





No comments: